- This event has passed.
Intravenous Medication Administration for Registered Nurses: Blended Learning Programme 20th September, 2023
Eligible to attend: Registered Nurses
Time: 09:30 – 11:30
This aim of this blended learning programme is to provide Registered Nurses with the necessary theoretical and practical components of intravenous drug administration. The format of this programme involves completion of online component (approx. 2.5 hours) completed in students own time, prior to classroom attendance.
This blended course is divided into a theory and practical element.
- The theory element is completed on our Moodle site www.e-life.ie prior to attending your practical assessment. You will be given access 2 weeks prior to your practical assessment.
- A certificate of completion of the theory element of the course must be presented to the nurse tutor on arrival at your practical assessment.
- On arrival to the practical element you will be directed to complete calculations in the course workbook, followed by a short exam.
- Practical Assessment of IV drug administration will be facilitated.
On successful completion of this course participants will be able to:
- Identify key issues in relation to the scope of practice in nursing
- Summarise the main principles of an intravenous administration policy
- Describe the infection control and pharmacological principles in relation to IV therapy
- Demonstrate competence in calculations associated with IV medication administration
- Identify the procedure involved in administering a bolus, intermittent and continuous administration intravenously
- Outline the procedure involved in completing the IV Competency Record Form
4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) approved by An Bord Altranais agus Cnaimhseachais na hEireann (The Nurse and Midwifery Board of Ireland)