- This event has passed.
Introduction to Dementia Care 15th November 2022 (Virtual)
November 15, 2022 @ 9:30 am - 4:30 pm€90.00
Eligible to attend: Health Care Professionals
Time: 9.30a.m. – 4.30p.m.
This aim of this virtual course is to provide healthcare professionals with the opportunity to enhance their knowledge of holistic care and relevant issues when caring for an older person with a challenging behaviour.
All behaviours, no matter how bizarre or self-defeating they may appear to be, serve a function for the person. Often they communicate a message that the person cannot otherwise communicate. It is the right of the person with behaviour problems to have access to the appropriate behaviour supports.
Person-centred behaviour support begins with an understanding of the message underlying the person behaviour. Once the message of the behaviour is understood, the person may learn an alternative and more effective way of communicating that message.
Main topics which will be discussed include:
- What are Psychological and Behavioural symptoms?
- Types of behaviour that challenge
- Understanding demential & delirium
- Planning for the future
- Communication Strategies
- Pharmacological Intervention
On successful completion of the course, participants will:
- Gain knowledge of how to promote, maintain and provide individualised holistic care to the older person with dementia.
- Gain an insight into caring for an older person with Psychological and Behavioural Symptoms.
Accreditation / CPD:
7 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) sought from An Bord Altranais Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann (The Nurse and Midwifery Board of Ireland)