Understanding of Behavioural Expressions in Dementia A virtual Programme 5th March 2021
Dates: 5th March 2021
Eligible to attend: Health Care Professionals
Aim: This virtual course will enhance knowledge of holistic care and relevant issues when caring for an older persons with psychological and behavioural symptoms of dementia.
All behaviours, no matter how bizarre or self-defeating they may appear to be, serve a function for the person. Often, they communicate a message that the person cannot otherwise communicate. It is the right of the person with behaviour problems to have access to the appropriate supports.
Person-centred behaviour support begins with an understanding of the message underlying the person behaviour. Once the message of the behaviour is understood, the person may learn an alternative and more effective way of communicating that message.
Main topics which will be discussed include:
· What are Psychological and Behavioural Symptoms?
· Types of behavioural & Psychological expressions.
· Assessment and management of Symptoms.
· Pharmacological and non-pharmacological Interventions in the management of behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia.
On successful completion of the course, participants will:
· Gain knowledge of how to promote, maintain and provide individualised holistic care to the older person with dementia.
· Gain an insight into caring for an older person with Psychological and Behavioural symptoms.
Accreditation/CPD: 7 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) approved by An Bord Altranais Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann (The Nurse and Midwifery Board of Ireland).