- This event has passed.
Introduction to Reminiscence Virtual Workshop 25th February 2021
Eligible to attend:
People working in a caring profession (mainly, but not restricted to, Care of the Older Person & Palliative Care) –Nurses, Activity Co-Ordinators, Carers,Facilitators
Time: 9.30am – 1.00pm
The aim of this 1/2 day workshop is to encourage and enable people
working in caring professions to engage in reminiscence with their
Reminiscence encourages sociability. It affirms personal identity and encourages feelings of self-worth through the transmission of
knowledge, values and wisdom. Talking about “old times” with a supportive listener can reduce feelings of isolation.
How Music and Art Contribute to Reminiscence?
Music and art can be helpful aids in stimulating the recall of forgotten memories. Hearing a specific piece of music, seeing an
image or feeling an object can help people remember meaningful times from the past. Using music/art can help make sessions a
positive, enjoyable and engaging part of life review.
Main topics which will be discussed:
- What is reminiscence?
- How to engage in reminiscence with your clients, individually or
in a group
- How to plan a reminiscence activity session
- Ideas for materials to use
- Themed reminiscence group topics
- One to one reminiscing
- Life review
- Memory boxes
- Participants will obtain the skills to engage in one to one reminiscence with clients
- Demonstrate the ability to plan and facilitate a reminiscence
- Build confidence in discussing past memories with clients
- Attain new ways of communicating / interacting with clients
- Learn how to put together a memory box
A certificate of attendance will be provided.