- This event has passed.
Male Catheterisation and Suprapubic Re-Catheterisation Study Day: A Blended Learning Programme 12th September, 2023
Eligible to attend: Registered Nurses
Time: Online approx. 2.5 hours
In Person – 30 minute timeslot allocation for practical assessment in Milford Care Centre Education Department.
This blended course is divided into a theory and practical element.
- The theory element is completed on our Moodle site https://www.e-life.ie/ prior to attending your practical assessment. You will be given access 2 weeks prior to your practical assessment.
- Please view the video of this clinical skill (as many times as needed) on e-life and be familiar with the steps in this procedure prior to attending the practical assessment as there will be no demonstration in person.
- A certificate of completion of the theory element of the course must be presented to the nurse tutor on arrival at your practical assessment.
- A time slot for your practical assessment will be issued to you, it is non-negotiable due to the coordination of multiple attendees.
- After the course, each candidate must arrange to be supervised by a competent practitioner, whilst carrying out the skill in the clinical area, until competency is achieved
The aim of this blended learning course is to equip nurses with the appropriate knowledge and skills for best practice in male catheterisation and suprapubic re-catheterisation thus enhancing patient care.
This blended course is aimed at nurses from a variety of settings mainly nursing homes, residential services, intellectual disability, hospice, community settings such as home care and public health. It is suitable for hospital-based nurses who wish to gain a general understanding of male catheterisation and supra pubic re-catheterisation but does not focus on post-operative care or specialist urology procedures.
Following completion of this course, participants will have:
- Examined the Scope of Practice Framework for nurses and midwives
- Reviewed anatomy and physiology of the male genito-urinary system
- Explored the guidelines for good practice in adult catheter management from best available evidence
- Reviewed infection control principles in male and suprapubic catheterisation
- Observed a video procedure demonstration for male catheterisation, urethral catheterisation and suprapubic re-catheterisation
- Explored and understood the care and management of the potential complications of urethral catheterisation
- Demonstrated skills in male catheterisation on a training mannequin and completion of theoretical component competency record.
Please ensure that you can complete your competency requirement in a clinical setting following the clinical skill study day.
4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) have been approved by An Bord Altranais agus Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann (The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland) for the e–learning programme.