- This event has passed.
Male Catheterisation and Suprapubic Re-Catheterisation Study Day: A Blended Learning Programme 17th February 2022
Eligible to attend: Registered Nurses
Time: 09.30 – 12:30 (Practical).
The aim of this blended learning course is to equip nurses with the appropriate knowledge and skills for best practice in male catheterisation and suprapubic re-catheterisation thus enhancing patient care.
This blended course is aimed at nurses from a variety of settings mainly nursing homes, residential services, intellectual disability, hospice, community settings such as home care and public health. It is suitable for hospital-based nurses who wish to gain a general understanding of male catheterisation and supra pubic re-catheterisation but does not focus on post-operative care or specialist urology procedures.
This blended course is divided into a theory and practical element.
- The theory element is completed on our Moodle site www.e-life.ie prior to attending your practical assessment. You will be given access 2 weeks prior to your practical assessment.
- A certificate of completion of the theory element of the course must be presented to the nurse tutor on arrival at your practical assessment.
- Please view the recorded demonstration of this clinical skill (as many times as you need) on e-life and be familiar with it prior to attending the practical assessment as there will be no demonstration in person
- A time slot for your practical assessment will be issued to you, it is non-negotiable due to the coordination of multiple attendees.
Following completion of this course, participants will have:
- Examined the Scope of Practice Framework for nurses and
- Reviewed anatomy and physiology of the male genito-urinary
- Explored the guidelines for good practice in adult catheter
management from best available evidence
- Reviewed infection control principles in male and suprapubic
- Observed a video procedure demonstration for male catheterisation,
urethral catheterisation and suprapubic re-catheterisation
- Explored and understood the care and management of the
potential complications of urethral catheterisation
- Demonstrated skills in male catheterisation on a training
mannequin and completion of theoretical component
Please ensure that you can complete your competency requirement following completion of this course.
5 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) have been approved by An Bord Altranais agus Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann (The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland) for the e–learning programme.