Male Catheterisation and Suprapubic Re-Catheterisation Study Day: A Blended Learning Programme 18th May 2021
Eligible to attend: Registered Nurses
Time: 09.30 – 15:30 (Time slots will be allocated individually).
The aim of this blended learning course is to equip nurses with the appropriate knowledge and skills for best practice in male catheterisation and suprapubic re-catheterisation thus enhancing patient care.
This blended course is aimed at nurses from a variety of settings mainly nursing homes, residential services, intellectual disability, hospice, community settings such as home care and public health. It is suitable for hospital-based nurses who wish to gain a general understanding of male catheterisation and supra pubic re-catheterisation but does not focus on post-operative care or specialist urology procedures.
This blended course is divided into a theory and practical element.
- The theory element is completed on our Moodle site www.e-life.ie prior to attending your practical assessment. You will be given access 2 weeks prior to your practical assessment.
- A certificate of completion of the theory element of the course must be presented to the nurse tutor on arrival at your practical assessment.
- Please view the recorded demonstration of this clinical skill (as many times as you need) on e-life and be familiar with it prior to attending the practical assessment as there will be no demonstration in person
- A time slot for your practical assessment will be issued to you, it is non-negotiable due to the coordination of multiple attendees.
Following completion of this course, participants will have:
- Examined the Scope of Practice Framework for nurses and
- Reviewed anatomy and physiology of the male genito-urinary
- Explored the guidelines for good practice in adult catheter
management from best available evidence
- Reviewed infection control principles in male and suprapubic
- Observed a video procedure demonstration for male catheterisation,
urethral catheterisation and suprapubic re-catheterisation
- Explored and understood the care and management of the
potential complications of urethral catheterisation
- Demonstrated skills in male catheterisation on a training
mannequin and completion of theoretical component
Please ensure that you can complete your competency requirement following completion of this course.
5 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) have been approved by An Bord Altranais agus Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann (The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland) for the e–learning programme.