Management & Replacement of Gastrostomy Tubes: Blended Learning 6th May 2021
Eligible to attend: Registered Nurses
Time: 09.30 – 15:30 (Time slots will be allocated individually).
This blended course aims to educate and support Clinical Nurse Specialists, Public Health Nurses, Nurses, and Dieticians regarding key issues related to the management of gastrostomy tubes and to enable staff to replace gastrostomy tubes when safe and appropriate to do so.
This blended course is divided into a theory and practical element.
- The theory element is completed on our Moodle site www.e-life.ie prior to attending your practical assessment. You will be given access 2 weeks prior to your practical assessment.
- A certificate of completion of the theory element of the course must be presented to the nurse tutor on arrival at your practical assessment.
- Please view the recorded demonstration of this clinical skill (as many times as you need) on e-life and be familiar with it prior to attending the practical assessment as there will be no demonstration in person
- A time slot for your practical assessment will be issued to you, it is non-negotiable due to the coordination of multiple attendees.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be:
- Able to identify key issues in relation to scope of practice in the management and replacement of gastrostomy tubes.
- Familiar with the different types of gastrostomy tubes available
- Have knowledge on best and safe practice in management and replacement of gastrostomy tubes using evidence-based practice guidelines
- Understand infection control principles in the management and replacement of gastrostomy tubes
- Able to care for the tubes and check the tubes position
- Able to administer medication via the feeding tube
- Understand the care and management of the potential complications in the management and replacement of gastrostomy tubes
- Able to demonstrate their skills in the management and replacement of gastrostomy tubes on a training mannequin
Please ensure that you can complete your competency requirement in a clinical setting following the clinical skill study day.
Accreditation/CPD: 7.5 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) approved by An Bord Altranais Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann (The Nurse and Midwifery Board of Ireland) and CPD approval from the Irish Nutrition and Dietetics Institute.