Management & Replacement of Gastrostomy Tubes: Blended Learning 03rd May, 2023
May 3, 2023€65.00
Eligible to attend:
Clinical Nurse Specialists, Public Health Nurses, Nurses, and Dietitians.
Time: Online approx. 2.5 hours
In Person – 40 minute timeslot allocation for practical assessment in Milford Care Centre Education Department.
This blended course is divided into a theory and practical element.
- The theory element is completed on our Moodle site https://www.e-life.ie/ prior to attending your practical assessment. You will be given access 2 weeks prior to your practical assessment.
- Please view the video of this clinical skill (as many times as needed) on e-life and be familiar with the steps in this procedure prior to attending the practical assessment as there will be no demonstration in person.
- A certificate of completion of the theory element of the course must be presented to the nurse tutor on arrival at your practical assessment.
- A time slot for your practical assessment will be issued to you, it is non-negotiable due to the coordination of multiple attendees.
- After the course, each candidate must arrange to be supervised by a competent practitioner, whilst carrying out the skill in the clinical area, until competency is achieved.
This course aims to educate and support Clinical Nurse Specialists, Public Health Nurses, Nurses, and Dietitians regarding key issues related to the management of gastrostomy tubes and to enable staff to replace gastrostomy tubes when safe and appropriate to do so.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be:
- Able to identify key issues in relation to scope of practice in the management and replacement of gastrostomy tubes.
- Familiar with the different types of gastrostomy tubes available
- Have knowledge on best and safe practice in management and replacement of gastrostomy tubes using evidence based practice guidelines
- Understand infection control principles in the management and replacement of gastrostomy tubes
- Able to care for the tubes and check the tubes position
- Able to administer medication via the feeding tube
- Understand the care and management of the potential complications in the management and replacement of gastrostomy tubes
- Able to demonstrate their skills in the management and replacement of gastrostomy tubes on a training mannequin
Please ensure that you can complete your competency requirement in a clinical setting following the clinical skill study day.
5 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) approved by An Bord Altranais Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann (The Nurse and Midwifery Board of Ireland) and CPD approval from the Irish Nutrition and Dietetics Institute.