The Palliative Approach: A 2-day Virtual Programme for Nurses 9th & 16th March 2021
March 9 - March 16€140.00
Eligible to attend: Registered Nurses
Time: 09.00 – 13.00
This 2-day course aims to provide registered nurses with an understanding of the principles of palliative care and how these principles can be effectively applied to practice. It allows participants to improve their knowledge and skills in palliative care through reflection and discussion. The programme focuses not only on the physical alleviation of symptoms but also addresses the psychosocial, spiritual and emotional needs of individuals. This programme is designed to assist in practice and assists nurses in developing professionally in the area of end of life care.
On completing this study day nurses will:
- Gain an insight into the essentials of palliative care and their role within the multidisciplinary team
- Gain knowledge of the skills required by registered nurses when adopting a palliative care approach
- Gain knowledge of symptom control; the end of life phase and death; communication; dealing with grief and loss
- Gain an insight into the concept of ‘total pain’
- Discuss psychosocial issues relevant to patients and their families
- Identify the palliative care core competencies required by Nurses when providing a palliative approach as set out by the Palliative Care Competence Framework HSE 2014
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) sought from An Bord Altranais Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann (The Nurse and Midwifery Board of Ireland).