The Palliative Approach: A Programme for Nurses 03rd October, 2023
Eligible to attend: Registered General Nurses in all settings
Location: Classroom based
Aim: This course aims to provide registered nurses with an understanding of the principles of palliative care and how these principles can be effectively applied in practice.
It allows participants to enhance their understanding and skills in palliative care via up-to-date knowledge, reflection and discussion.
The programme focuses not only on the physical alleviation of symptoms but also addresses the psychosocial, spiritual and emotional needs of individuals with life limiting conditions.
On completing this course nurses will:
- Gain an insight into the essentials of palliative care and their role within the multidisciplinary team
- Gain knowledge of the skills required by registered nurses when adopting a palliative approach
- Gain knowledge of symptom control; the end of life phase and death; communication; dealing with grief and loss
- Gain insight into the concept of ‘Total Pain’
- Discuss psychosocial issues relevant to patients and their families
- Identify the palliative core competencies required by nurses when providing palliative approach as set out by the palliative Care Competence Framework HSE 2014
Accreditation: To be Confirmed Jan 2023